Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thomas Riley Marshall, Champion of American Soverereignty




"MARSHALL OFFERS AMERICAN CREED," was the headline on the front page of the February 8, 1919 edition of The New York Times. In that speech in Washington DC, United States Vice President Marshall said to the National Press Club:

"I believe that America belongs to American citizens, native and naturalized, who are willing to seek redress for their grievances in orderly and constitutional ways, and I believe that all others should be taught, peacefully if we can and forcibly if we must, that our country is not an international boarding house nor an anarchist café.

"I pledge myself to the support of these principles by my voice, by vote, and, if need be, by my fortune and my life, and I promise my country to train my children in this most holy faith."

1 comment:

Funderfw said...

Thank you for highlighting this quote from Vice President Thomas Riley Marshall. Marshall's leadership has often been overlooked by historians.

For those interested, a good book on Marshall is "He Almost Changed the World: The Life and Times of Thomas Riley Marshall"